
Maybe this is kharma cleansing, maybe the guilt is eating away at me...I got in trouble today.
I was coming home from a solo afternoon after work. I went to the dermatologist for my annual mole check (where I looked fabulous in my backwards pink paper t-shirt), swung by HT and the PTA, hit the gas station and I'm on my way home. So with no kids in the car I was heading up Hwy 54 when I got behind a guy going unpleasantly slow. They guy behind me passed us both and for some reason I decided to do the same. Let me just say that I'm not usually a passer. I usually drive contentedly down the road at a safe, reasonable speed letting all the impatient people pass me by. But for some reason I made the decision to pass the guy. I started passing at the double dotted line but by the time I got back over I was officially out of the passing zone. A minute or so later I just happened to notice flashing blue lights behind....ME. I actually said to myself "Me? He's pulling over me?" I pulled over and the State Trooper - the memories keep flooding back of my last pull-over when I was 18 going 94 in a 65 - walks up to my window. I passed in a no-passing zone he tells me. Yes, I'm sorry, I say. I give him my license and he heads back to his big scary state trooper car. A few minutes later he comes back and drops the bomb that my license expired back in August. News to me! So in an effort to make this already long story short, $170 later I can go to court and talk to the D.A. and hopefully get some amount of it reduced. Um...oops? This is not the kind of behavior expected of a 35 year old mother of 2!
Any suggestions on appearing in court or getting a ticket reduced is appreciated. Only free advice, please, we're kinda strapped!
And the upswing is that I don't have skin cancer! All moles check out fine.

4 comments:
Prayer for Judgement. I've only had one ticket, but they gave me a PFJ, and as long as you aren't ticketed again in a certain amount of time, it never counts against you. And cry. Cry a lot. And take the kids with you WHILE you're crying. Pity points always work well, and your children are hopelessly adorable, so that should help. Teach them some lovely phrases like, "please be nice to my Mama" or "is my mommy in trouble? she's such a good mommy..."
Damn, girl, the fuzz got you on 54! Yeah, so of course in N.C. it's called "Prayer for Judgment." Why must you be forced to pray? Ha ha, the praying started when you got pulled over. In MA, it's called a CWOF--Continue Without a Finding. I like that better personally. So, get in that cute floral dress you wore when you got busted the first time in high school and definitely cry. Especially if you get pulled over again. It worked for me. :-)
Oh dear, Hallie. I hope you can work some magic on those mean ole judges.
I went to court this summer in Durham for having an expired registration, and an old insurance stop on my car. The DMV showed that I had no insurance, but I actually did. The cop took my license plate OFF MY CAR in the parking lot of my office. My boss went out and got me a new plate that morning, and I went to court with a lawyer friend. All charges dropped. I don't know that it is worth paying a lawyer, but if you can find one that will go with you, you will get off. They simply don't have time to deal with a lawyer. I did have to show that I was insured. I would use your almost-perfect record, and say that you felt as thought the slow car was unsafe. Something like that. At any rate, good luck!! I also had to go to court in Durham, not Orange County, and I sense they may be much busier in Durham.
Post a Comment