As my loyal readers know, I am a big fan of my family, my home, my town. I like to keep things simple, easy. I like to be at home, work in the garden, watch the kids frolic in the sandbox or swimming pool, take nature walks. I enjoy the occasional outing with Dave and the kids and the even more occasional outing with just Dave. Yes, I do love all these things but there comes a time in every Mom or Dad's life when you want to scream "GET ME OUTTA HERE!!" I'm there.
Here's why: Date nights are few and far between, summer is only about 1 month more and here's the big one...I have never, ever spent the night away from my kids. Ok, I lied. I spent 2 nights away from my darling son, Sawyer...WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO ELIZA!! Ok, martyrdom in check. This is not a pity party. Rather an expression of a growing need to get away.
I want to walk through a crowded airport...sip a rum punch with my toes buried in the white sand beaches of Meads Bay, Anguilla...Eat a late prix fixe meal at a tiny restaurant in Paris and sit for hours at a cafe watching people walk by, and by, and by...Wander through a museum without a regard for diaper changes, potty breaks or nap schedules. I dream.
Now back to reality. I need a place that is less than 5 hours away by car, good restaurants, possibly shopping, possibly nature, maybe live music, not too remote, nice but affordable accomodations. Basically somewhere I can be with Dave and talk and wander and enjoy all life has to offer that doesn't have to do with all that my wonderful children have to offer.
So, loyal readers, I'm asking for your help. I want your advice, experience, expertise on where to go, stay, what to do. So please comment with your suggestions. And if anyone has a suggestion as to how to get up in the morning without snuggling Sawyer or hearing Eliza call out "Mommy!" I'd appreciate that too.
-The Mommy formerly known as Hallie
7/22/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Asheville! I've heard that the Grovepark in is fabulous. Although we stayed in little cabins when we went. Perfect weekend vacation. It was like a second honeymoon for us! Good luck!
I second Asheville! We stayed in a little cabin by the French Broad river and well, got engaged. But we did other stuff, too, like hike and eat and window shop and watch movies. There's also a chocolate maker there. The best part about the cabin is bringing and making your own food. Or at least having a fridge for the leftovers from last night to eat for breakfast. I'll send details if you like...XOOX
You might like exploring Savannah, GA too. About 5 hours away, ocean, arts, great southern charm. Check out the coffee shop called the Sentient Bean (http://www.sentientbean.com/), its owned by two college friends of mine.
Thanks for the comments so far...keep them coming! If we go to where you suggested, you'll win a prize! Maybe a shot glass from that location??
:)
So is a mom n' pop vacation in the works? That's smart thinking, Hallie. Asheville sounds like the place to be, or perhaps a beach locale? I hope you get the break you need. And yes, summer is too short.
COME TO DALLAS!! Free accomodations and food!! You will have your own luxurious entire floor of our house at your disposal with your choice of guest room, 2 full bathrooms, your own living room with a LARGE tv and fabulous sectional! Oh and there's a private pool and spa!!! You will have complimentary museum passes to the Dallas Museum of art, plenty of shopping, a nearby aquarium and lots of other things to do!! Airport transfers and food are free, just GET HERE!!!
Being born raised in A-ville, I'm gonna have to agree with the others. It really is the greatest city in the world.
I can personally say that "ice ice baby" at Calvander is LOVELY this time of year. You and Dave would REALLY enjoy your time there, I'm sure. :)
Here is an idea: on a Saturday morning (or Friday night) bring Sawyer and Eliza ready to spend the week-end at Granddad and Mamilène's. We can keep til Sunday, will plan lots of fun activities and even put the whole Peter Rabbit series on top of our Netflix list! We'll store plenty oftaquitos, meat balls, dewbabies and chocolate. You guys will be free to go where you want (Charleston is our favorite) What do you say?
Hey Hallie - Ben and I flew on our own - yes, that is without kids - to Peoria and Chicago for FOUR days. My parents kept the little ones. We went to a wedding and then spent time with another couple. I CANNOT tell you how wonderful it was to realize that I was still in there somewhere - the person whose eyes sparkle and who loves to dance (to something other than Greg and Steve), who has unending energy, who can stay up until 2:00am and then sleep until 8:00am, who could walk around a Farmer's Market in Peoria and hold Ben's hand, who could eat dinner without cutting up someone's food or reminding them to "Chew, chew".....I would give my life for my babes and give my soul and energy daily. I wouldn't change it for the world. However, to reclaim myself was amazing, hopeful and rejuvenating all at once. Jen is still in there - hidden behind the love and hugs and grimaces and energy I give as Mommy - but still in there and ready to come out full force when the oppotunity knocks. Girl, it dosn't matter where you go, just MAKE THE OPPORTUNITY KNOCK! It was awesome! Jen Allred
Post a Comment